Music Education at Somerdale Park School
“If music be the food of love, sing and play on.” – William Shakespeare
Opportunities in the Music Department
- General Music Classes
- Provided to Grades K-5 with emphasis on rhythmic and melodic music literacy and exposure to major styles, composers and eras of music.
- Performance Ensembles – many students both sing and play an instrument!
- 85 singers from grades 5-8.
- Rehearsal – one period per week on a rotation schedule.
- Junior Chorus
- 75 singers from grades 3-4.
- Rehearsal – one period per week.
- Select Small Ensembles
- At the discretion of the Director
- Rehearsal – after school as needed.
- Concert Band
- 45 players from grades 5-8.
- Band Rehearsal – one period per week.
- Instrument Lesson – one period per week on a rotation schedule.
- Beginning Band
- 25 beginning players from grades 4- 5.
- Sectional lessons – one period per week.
- Jazz Band
- Select players by audition.
- Rehearsal – after school one day a week.
- Performance Requirements: Two evening Music Concerts per school year
- Evening Concert – mandatory participation required by all ensemble members.
- Dress Rehearsal – mandatory participation the day of the performance.
- Concert Band
Benefits of a Student’s joining Park School Choruses and Band
- Positive impact on developmental skills including speech and language, memory and attention, and the ability to convey emotions.
- Improved brain function. Stronger reading skills, increased math abilities and enhanced spatial intelligence.
- Higher standardized test scores and better grades in High School.
- Pride, self-discipline, higher self-esteem, improved team work skills.
- Active music making increases spatial-temporal reasoning, a key component in developing higher math skills.
- Beginning Band data
- Fermata Voucher
- Chorus & Band Contracts 5-8
- E-Mail Contact Form For Beginning Instrumental Students
- Web Links For Schedules
- CHORUS and Jr. Chorus Fall Rotation Rehearsal Schedule
- Instrumental Lesson Schedule (5-8) Fall Rotation
- Band and Chorus Fermata Fund
To View Any Of These Documents Please Make Sure You Have The Free Adobe PDF Reader Installed.
If You Do Not Have It Already Installed Please Click Here